Minors & Pets Guide
We are pleased to welcome families attending Estrella War with children under the age of 18. We ask that you come prepared with proper legal documents and present these documents when you check-in at the Main Gate.
Minors Attending with Parents or Legal Guardians
Every minor under the age of 18 who is attending Estrella War with their parent or legal guardian must file an SCA Minor Waiver with the Front Gate when they arrive at the event, OR the minor must be listed as an attendee on a Family Minor Waiver filed with the Front Gate when the family enters the event. This form is pre printed and ready for your signature when you arrive if you and the minors are Pre-Registered.
Both of these minor waiver forms may be downloaded as PDF files and completed ahead of time. Alternately, you can get copies of the forms at the Front Gate and complete them when you arrive at the site. These forms do not need to be notarized.
Minors Attending without their Parents
Minors (those under the age of 18) may attend Estrella War with a Temporary Guardian appointed by their parent/legal guardian for the duration of the event if they also bring TWO (2) copies of the TWO (2) documents explained below to the event with them. One of these copies will be retained by the SCA at the Front Gate; and the original must be retained by the Temporary Guardian/minor during the event. The two required forms are:
- A notarized Temporary Guardianship Form (Arizona Version) designating who is responsible for the minor. This form must be downloaded, printed, notarized, and signed by the parent or legal guardian before you leave home, and must also contain the parent(s) contact information.Be aware that other states (SCA Kingdoms) may use a different TEMPORARY GUARDIANSHIP FORM than the Arizona version used in the Kingdom of Atenveldt. If the minor lives outside of the State of Arizona check with the Seneschal of the local SCA group where the minor resides to get the proper TEMPORARY GUARDIANSHIP FORM for that State, Province or Country.In all cases, the form you present when you arrive at Estrella War must be completely filled out (including any required notary information) and signed by the parent or legal guardian of the minor before you leave home.
- A notarized Medical Authorization for Minors Form for the minor. This form must also be downloaded, printed, notarized, and signed by the parent or legal guardian before you leave home.
The Estrella War staff believes families add to the fun and realism of the Current Middle Ages. We ask your cooperation in ensuring that all forms are completed and notarized for each minor you bring to the event before you leave home. If you have any questions, please contact the War Staff for answers before you begin your travel to ESTRELLA WAR.
Minors Curfew and Parental Responsibilities
Estrella War camp curfews require that:
- Minors 15 and under must be in their own camp or escorted by an adult from 10 PM to 5 AM.
- Minors 16 to 18 years old must be in their own camp or escorted by an adult from Midnight to 5 AM.
Parents and temporary guardians will be held responsible for the minor’s behavior at Estrella War XXVIII, and should be familiar with the Kingdom of Atenveldt Policy for Addressing Transgressions by Minors at SCA Events as well as these event rules:
- Everyone under 12 must wear their youth token at all times.
- When a minor child is found un-accompanied and endangered, a report will be filed with the war staff & security, and local law enforcement agencies will be notified when it is deemed necessary.
- Any child found unattended in a closed vehicle or tent during the day will be ‘rescued’. Even in the middle of an Arizona winter, the interior of a vehicle can quickly reach lethal temperatures.
Family pets are welcome at Estrella War if the pet is well behaved, and under your immediate control or in a kennel at all times. This includes domestic animals like dogs, cats, ferrets, and birds.
What You Should Know
The Arizona desert can be hot and unfriendly for pets, and has a significant rate of rabies reported in wildlife in the State. You should plan knowing the following:
- The animal must be able to tolerate heat and dust in the day and cold at night. Arizona Law prohibits leaving pets unattended in any vehicle. Pets found in a vehicle or closed tent during the day will be ‘rescued’. Even in the Arizona winter, a closed vehicle or tent can quickly reach lethal temperatures.
- The dogs and cats must have a current Rabies vaccination. Dogs must be wearing proof of a current dog license.
- The animal must not be easily upset, frightened, or made aggressive by the normal noises and activity at an SCA event.
Owners hold full responsibility for the pets they bring to the event, and must abide by the following Site Rules:
- Pets must be kept on a leash not exceeding 6 feet in length, or housed in a closed, latched kennel throughout the event.
- Owners are held accountable for their pet’s disruptive behavior and noise. Local Law Enforcement authorities will be called to site to handle loose or disruptive animals.
- Owners MUST pick up after their pets!
- Pets must wear two forms of identification on their collars: The owner’s legal information (name, phone, address, etc), and something showing the owner’s SCA name and group information (Kingdom, Barony, Group, Household) needed to locate the owner at the event. The Front Gate will provide wristbands for you to use as an SCA collar tag for your pet if you ask.